Freefall. When you get to stop working and start surrendering. No more kicking, no more pulling, and definitely no fighting...your only work is to relax more and let the ocean pull you deeper. It's the most other worldly experience I've ever had.
This course is best for those who have some experience and want to go a bit deeper. We will teach you how to train your body for freediving and upgrade relevant skills such relaxation, equalization, and finning techniques. You will gain knowledge about how to dive deeper and will be introduced to the most fun part of freediving: Free falling!
By means of online videos and the Wave 2 manual you will learn:
- History of freediving
- Frenzel equalization
- Introduction to air control: Reverse packs or grouper calls
- Preventing potential traumas
- Effects of depth
- Written exam
1 Pool Sessions
In this session you will learn:
- Additional equipment
- Improvements of techniques
- Dynamic swimming (55M)
- Buddying and rescue procedures (repetition)
- Improving Dynamic No Fins (DNF) technique
- Introduction to the monofin technique
2 Open Water Sessions
In these sessions you will learn:
- Improvement of equalization: Frenzel technique
- Usage of lanyards
- Free fall technique
- Further safety and rescue: Rescue from 15+m
- Introduction to Constant Weight No Fins (CNF) to 15m
- Application of air control (Grouper Call and Reverse Packing)
- Improve your relaxation while focusing on your freediving technique
As a certified Molchanovs Wave 2 freediver you will be able to meet the following requirements:
- 2:30+ min Static Breath Hold (STA)
- 55+m Dynamic With Fins (DYN)
- 35+m Dynamic No Fins (DNF)
- 24 – 30m CWT and FIM in the open water
- 15m Constant Weight No Fins (CNF)
- Free fall technique
Duration: 3 Days
Friday 5PM - 7PM
- Classroom Session, review and prep for class
- J&J Spearfishing Supplies
Saturday 8AM - 11AM
- Pool Training Session
- FIT Athletic Carmel Mountain
Saturday 1PM - 4PM
- Dive Session (technique, familiarization)
- La Jolla Shores
Sunday 8AM - 1030AM
- Dive Session (Depth!)
- La Jolla Shores
Almost everything can be rented from J&J Spearfishing Supplies except for a mask and snorkel! There will be time Friday evening to rent gear for the weekend, total cost is around $60
Mask – A low volume spearfishing/freediving mask. A standard snorkel/scuba mask is OK for the Level 1 Freediver course.
Snorkel – A simple J. style snorkel
Wetsuit – This is your most important piece of equipment. For San Diego, it’s highly recommended to have a 5mm proper spearfishing or freediving two piece, open cell inner/nylon outer suit. If you don’t have access to this suit, then a very well fitting 5mm full neoprene suit, preferably with a hood is OK. A proper freediving suit will positively influence your course experience. James & Joseph offers freediving wetsuit rentals, and you will have time between the classroom and pool portion to rent one if needed. You will need your wetsuit for the pool and the open water portion!
Fins – Longblade freediving fins. Standard snorkel/scuba fins are acceptable for the Level 1 Freediver course. We do not accept “split fins” or the full open heel and bootie style. J&J has fins available for rent if needed.
Weight belt – A rubber weight belt is preferred. A standard webbing weight belt is OK for the Level 1 Freediver course. J&J has weight belts available for rent if needed
Weights – A selection of 1lb and/or 2lb weights, most people use 5-10lbs. J&J has weights available for rent if needed
Freediving Computer – Something that can record your depth. We will go over setting alarms, meeting a buddy at depth, and proper surface intervals. J&J has these available for rent.
Optional Items – If you are sensitive to the cold water, you may want to consider purchasing some VENTED Docs Pro Plugs.
Looking forward to getting out there with you!