There is no feeling like riding a board that you built with your own hands! The work you put into designing and crafting your board will be an experience you won't forget, and the result will be a board that surfs incredible and allows you to improve your own abilities, whether you're just getting into surfing or have been going at it for years.
There is a lot that goes into shaping a board. You can definitely do it on your own (which is what I did) but it is a very steep, and at times very frustrating learning curve. I want to take the things I've learned from my successes and my mistakes, the countless hours I've spent researching, testing, and revising, so that you can build the perfect board for yourself in only a few hours.
Things to know:
- Shaping lessons are $60/hr
- Shaping lessons are usually 4 hours long for a shortboards and fish, 5 or more hours for a longboard
- Blanks typically start around $60 and go up to $130+ for longer boards. prices included in lesson price
- Glass it yourself, or we can have it professionally glassed starting at $225
- Lots of potential for artwork! Paint it yourself, have artwork included in the glass job (extra cost), print out your own logo ($20) or other printed materials that can be glassed into the board
- Bring anyone you want to come watch
- We will go through design elements to determine exactly what type of board you want to build and what features to add
- No previous shaping or surfing experience required
- Guaranteed to walk away with a great looking, great performing board!
- Example cost breakdown for a 5'6 fish shaping lesson: $75 blank + $240 shaping = $315
- Add $225 glass (clear, sanded finish) = $540 total for lesson and finished board
How it works: Pick one of our three options based on the length of board you want to build to get the ball rolling. We will set up a call with you to get an idea of exactly what you want to build, when to do the lesson, and we will send you a final invoice if there are any additional costs. From there it's time to mow some foam and get that board in the water!
Shaping bay is located near the I-5 and I-8 intersection in San Diego, CA